Skip to Content

Umrah for Muslim Converts -Here What They Need

Many Muslim converts are confused if they need anything to prove they are Muslim when going for Umrah. Totally normal because unless you wear a hijab, you would look non-Muslim, and we know they are not allowed in Makkah.

Now with the tourist visa, you don’t even need to show your documentation anywhere until you land in Jeddah, so this can be confusing for many.

There are no formal requirements when you become Muslim. You can say the shahada (testimony of faith) in any place with a couple of witnesses. Islam is in your heart rather than on paper… that is, until you have to go for Umrah.

The easiest way to get around this is to issue yourself a certificate of Islam or a convert certificate.

The one thing every Muslim convert should have when going for Umrah

How to issue a Muslim convert certificate for Umrah

For those who convert to Islam, having a certificate of conversion is essential if they want to go for Umrah or Hajj.

When I became a Muslim, I didn’t have one. I said my Shahada with few friends and never bothered going to the mosque to issue one. Until one day, I needed to issue my visa and prove I was a Muslim; this was before the Saudi tourist visa. Since my hijab is not strong evidence of being a Muslim, I went to my local mosque and requested one.

Usually, there will be at least one mosque that can provide you with a certificate;

When I went to issue my conversion certificate, the process was simple. I was asked to say the shahada again in front of the Imam and the administration. That’s it. It took less than 10 minutes, and they even backdated it to the date I became Muslim. It was a nice gesture.

  • Call a couple of local mosques and ask them if they issue a certificate; many will do because it is needed for marriage and Umrah.
  • If you say your shahada in a mosque, ask them to provide you with one.
  • Keep a copy of your certificate and give that instead of your original
  • You also don’t have to change your name if you don’t want; they asked me what my Muslim name will be, and I said Elena 🙂

Do you need an Islamic certificate for Umrah?

Many times they won’t check it; I mean, I have never been asked to show this either at immigration or in a hotel in Saudi and I have been in the country more times than I can count.

However, like with everything in life, becoming Muslim is an important part of your life and not only you change your religion but your whole life in a way. It is good to have something physical to show and keep as a memory.

Also, you never know when you might need it, whether that is to prove you are Muslim for Umrah or Hajj or to get married.

More posts to read

The Ultimate Guide on How to Do a DIY Umrah; (Do-It-Yourself) Umrah
The Best DIY Umrah Packages 2023 Done for You
New Saudi Transit Visa 2023 -Free Umrah & Accommodation
DIY Umrah: How to Get from Jeddah to Makkah & Medinah for Umrah
The Best Hotels in Makkah For Umrah

Are you wondering the best time to book Umrah & save money?

I have created an 18-page guide to help you plan an Umrah at the best time. Sharing tips and tricks in one place to save you time & of course, money.

Share with Friends


Sunday 21st of January 2024

What was the process for applying for umarah Visa, did you have to give them (upload) shadah certificate? Or is it not required at the time of applying.

Muslim Travel Girl

Monday 22nd of January 2024

no required at all. I might have a digital copy if the hotel asks but I was never asked.


Monday 6th of March 2023

Assalamualaekum. I am a revert Alhamdulillah. And I want to go for umrah but I don’t have a Muslim Mehram. How can I perform umrah? Please help me.

Muslim Travel Girl

Saturday 11th of March 2023

Yes you can go on your own

Marvelyn Ruiz FUENTES

Wednesday 1st of March 2023

Assalamu alaikum I converted as Muslim since 2020 but I don't have certification being converted B'coz I did shahadat to my boss daughter. How can I get? And I want to go for umrah I am married in Christian bfore but already separated it is possible I can go for umrah?


Saturday 4th of November 2023

@Muslim Travel Girl,

AoA, could you please confirm if local mosques need any of our documentation to generate a certificate? Thanks

Muslim Travel Girl

Saturday 11th of March 2023

You can go to Umrah yes but if you want the certificate you can go to the local mosque and do it there, its what i did and it was easy.


Monday 25th of July 2022

Assalam Alaikum I m conerted to Islam n married to a Muslim boy, can go for umrah? Nikahanama n conversion certificate is notarized from court.

Muslim Travel Girl

Monday 25th of July 2022

Yes, you can. If you are holding EU, American or other passports eligible for tourist visa it is even easier. check out the article on the tourist visa

Aayat khan

Sunday 13th of December 2020

Assalawalekum appi. I want to know that my husband is a converted muslim and we want to go for hajj inshallah. He has his shahada certificate that we got from a mosque but in his ID card his name is hindu and religion is hindu and we could not change it due to his job. Can we still go for hajj?

Muslim Travel Girl

Tuesday 22nd of December 2020

Your agent will know best, but I don't see why.